ss_blog_claim=4c833f8ed6013350a63df30f8b86e435 ss_blog_claim=4c833f8ed6013350a63df30f8b86e435
Around 9 o'clock in the evening, I was peacefully lying on my bed when the radio blasted the most horrifying news I've ever heard in my entire life.  The North and South Towers of the World Trade Center, the world's greatest financial district, the symbol of America's power and prosperity were attacked by a terrorist cell.  Also attacked was the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, America's nerve center.  According to the news, four planes were used in these coordinated attacks but only three succeeded in their evil mission.  The other one crashed in a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania.  They said its main target was the White House in Washington, D.C. but the pilot fought the terrorists so they crashed in Pennsylvania instead.
I was stunned with what I saw on TV.  It broke my heart to see those horrible footages of the attacks.  The chaos, the death of innocents, the clouds of smoke, the collapse of the buildings.  I couldn't believe them all.  All were hysterical.  It's just as if I was watching a movie like Independence Day.  But this is different.  What's unfolding before my eyes was not scripted.  I even slapped and pinched myself to be sure that I am not only dreaming. I feel pain. It was terrifyingly real.
In my mind, I am asking why.  Why such a powerful and prosperous country be attacked in such an inhumane way?  I grieved over the death  of thousands of people.  President George W. Bush addressed what happened as evil and cowardly acts.  I condemned the terrorists who have done it.  The loss of lives and the destruction of structures were overwhelming.  I am scared not for myself but for my country.  What if it will happen to us?  We are so powerless in the face of terroristic attacks.  I hope our government will do something to secure our country.  But sad to say, our politicians are very busy with their political charade on the stage.  Sad to say this but they're using the Senate and the House of Representatives.  They're throwing mud at each other's faces to the extent that I no longer know who's accusing who.  I am greatly disappointed that sometimes I am asking myself, why I was born a Filipino?  I am losing my pride in the midst of this chaotic and dirty politics.  But if I think of Dr. Jose P. Rizal, Ninoy Aquino and Cory Aquino my morale gets a boost and also the Edsa People Power Revolution wherein my fellow Filipinos were able to oust a dictator in the person of Ferdinand A. Marcos through peaceful means.
I feel like squeezing the necks of some of these politicians who do nothing but advance their political career at the expense of million starving Filipinos.  Investigation here, there and everywhere with vague results or none at all.  I am sorry to know that we have them who only wanted a great deal of publicity in the guise of exposes which their veracity I doubted.  I am ashame, greatly embarassed not only to myself but to the millions of Filipinos, to the people around the world and most especially to the future generation.  Is this the kind of legacy that we would be leaving to them?
( An entry in my diary on the fateful  day of September 11, 2001.) 

0 comments: